Map Channels Version 6 beta is now available. Use version 6 to create custom Google maps which can be embedded onto your website.
Version 6 includes much of the functionality of version 5 plus some new features.
The major new feature of v6 is an 'expanded view' which incorporates an interface similar to the Dual Maps project.
The expanded view allow you to explore map locations from multiple angles. You can view an information panel, an area map, a zoom map (with birds eye view imagery) and street view imagery.
Panels can be maximized or hidden as required. A bookmark link lets you save or email a place location within the map.
There are editor and import tools to make adding places to your map easy. The import tool can import data from lists or spreadsheets and also geocode addresses.
Explore the map features in this v6 demo map.
Version 6 is currently at the beta stage and is subject to change. More features will be added before the full release.
Find out more in the v6 Tutorial.
To use version 6 you should Register and obtain a Google Maps API key, both of which are free.
Get started here.
3 Feb 2017
Video Maps are a new tool to display a YouTube travel video with synchronized Google Maps and Street View.
Create your own video map by supplying a YouTube video ID and the route data in GPX format.
The project is currently at the early beta stage and more features will be added over time.
Visit the Video Maps project page to get started.
22 Nov 2016
Due to the upcoming retirement of the Bing Maps v6.3 API at the end of November the
Dual Maps and
Animated Route Maps projects have both been updated.
Within both projects the Google Maps API is now used for the birds eye map panel, also some new features have been added.
The update is automatic, no action is required if you already have these maps embedded on your site.
See below for further details of these projects.
Google have decided to close the Panoramio website.
Panoramio was a valuable resource which allowed users to share geocoded photographs and included an API which allowed these photos to be displayed on a map.
Since the start of November the Panoramio API is no longer available.
Version 5 of Map Channels included a 'Photos' menu option which has now been removed.
As yet there is no replacement for the Panoramio API but if there is then version 5 will be updated to include it.
One project which is unavailable now is the Photo Quiz Map which used the Panoramio API.
15 Nov 2016
Version 2 of Animated Route Maps is now available here.
1. Address search boxes with autocomplete can be used to select the start and destination addresses.
2. The pegman direction is displayed on the birds eye map.
3. The interface has been redesigned to simplify functionality.
4. Adverts can be hidden by clicking the 'hide ad' button which appears 30 seconds after the map loads.
Version 6 of Dual Maps is now available here.
1. An address search box with autocomplete can be used to easily find a named location or address.
2. A geolocation button can display your current location.
3. The pegman direction is displayed on the birds eye map.
4. The information panel is now (optionally) displayed in a smaller panel beneath the maps.
5. The place marker on either the main map or the birds eye map can be dragged and dropped to a new location.
6. Reverse geocoding is used to display the current marker address
7. Adverts can be hidden by clicking the 'hide ad' button which appears 30 seconds after the map loads.
8. Language options : English, French or Spanish
4 Oct 2016
9 Sep 2016
10 Aug 2016
View the latest site news here.
Subscribe to the Map Channels News RSS Feed
Map Channels has been running since 2007 providing mapping tools mostly based on the Google Maps API.
Map Channels version 5 lets you embed a custom map into your website or blog without the need for coding.
The service is free. You can use the map scripts generated by this site for both commercial and non-commercial use.
• Register for a free user account.
• Read the Map Channels v5 Tutorial.
• Create a New Map Channel to embed your map into your website in seconds.
• Edit the map display settings to enhance your map's appearance and functionality.
Users who donate 25 GBP or more are upgraded to supporter status and receive benefits listed on the Donate page.
Supporters receive these benefits for as long as the site is running, there is no subscription time limit.
10 Jul 2014
Map Channels Events find upcoming events around the world.
Map Channels Hotels use the interactive search map to find hotel bargains.
TripGeo is a mapping resource which hosts the Directions Map embeddable control.
Mashed World - featuring Street Tours and Worldwide Webcam.
Team Maps - Mapping Tutorials and Projects.
Google Maps Mania - An unofficial Google Maps blog tracking the websites, mashups and tools being influenced by Google Maps.
Mapperz Blogspot - The Mapping News Blog.
Google Geo Developers Blog - Official Google Maps API Blog.
Add a link to your site here.
Please Contact us for more information.