Two new map-based games are now available to play.
Follow clues to find a series of places using Google Maps and Street View
Create and share your own Treasure Maps with the simple-to-use editor
Identify the location of photographs on the map
Explore random locations around the world
Photo Quiz Maps
Both these games are beta projects. Please contact us with any feedback to improve the games. Ideas for new games are always welcome.
We can develop custom map-based games and web apps, please contact us with details of the project you require.
4 Oct 2016
Version 2 of Animated Route Maps is now available here.
1. Address search boxes with autocomplete can be used to select the start and destination addresses.
2. The pegman direction is displayed on the birds eye map.
3. The interface has been redesigned to simplify functionality.
4. Adverts can be hidden by clicking the 'hide ad' button which appears 30 seconds after the map loads.
Route Maps 2 will be a beta until November 2016 when it will replace the current version 1.
8 Aug 2016
Version 6 of Dual Maps is now available here.
1. An address search box with autocomplete can be used to easily find a named location or address.
2. A geolocation button can display your current location.
3. The pegman direction is displayed on the birds eye map.
4. The information panel is now (optionally) displayed in a smaller panel beneath the maps.
5. The place marker on either the main map or the birds eye map can be dragged and dropped to a new location.
6. Reverse geocoding is used to display the current marker address
7. Adverts can be hidden by clicking the 'hide ad' button which appears 30 seconds after the map loads.
Dual Maps 6 will be a beta until November 2016 when it will replace the current version 5.
4 Aug 2016
The Featured Maps page lists a selection of maps which have been created and shared by users.
Select the 'Share Map' option within the settings page if you want your map to be included in the Featured Maps section.
To be featured your map should include multiple places or layers.
Within the settings page there are now two buttons available to save the map settings.
Update saves the map and displays a preview without updating the copy of the map stored at data.mapchannels.com.
Update and Publish saves the map and updates the map stored at data.mapchannels.com which can be embedded onto your webite.
These features will let you test out changes without affecting your published map and to publish the map once the changes are complete.
18 Jan 2016
There is a new option to display photos from Google's Panoramio image hosting service. When this option is selected click 'Photos' from the menu to view photos within the current map area.
This feature replaces the old Panoramio image layer which Google removed from the Maps API earlier this year.
A new option lets you display a temporary KML or GeoRSS layer on the map by entering the URL of the layer when in 'Layers' mode.
This option is an addition to the existing ability to display one or more permanent KML layers on the map.
Visibility of these layers can be controlled using the checkbox next to each layer name.
22 Nov 2015
The option for secure hosting of maps is now available for the following mapping projects:
v5 Tour Maps
The main Map Channels v5 project also has the option of secure hosting.
If you create multiple Dual Maps or Local Maps, then Map Channels v5 can be used to manage all your map links.
4 Nov 2015
Quick Start: Create An Editable Version 5 Map Channel
Overview of v5: Printable Directions, Dual Maps and Local Maps
• Add Google Maps to your website without coding
• Free to use
• Embed within a web page or link to a full page map
• Create from KML, CSV or TSV feeds. Display multiple feeds
• Display and edit data created using Google My Maps
• Index side bar with layers
• Filters : name, layers, categories
• Get Directions with bookmark link
• Print Map option
• Geolocation : display your location on the map
• Business Name / Address Search
• Street View
• Mapping Tools
• External KML Layers
• Secure Hosting option
• Custom Map Styling
• Customize text and links
• Display bookmark links for places
• Link to specialized maps : Local Maps, Dual Maps and Tour Maps
Updated: 26 Oct 2015
• Add, edit or delete placemarks
• Organize places into layers
• Define additional place data fields
• Select a street view to show for each place
• User place contribution option
• Email notification when new places are added
• KML export
View the latest site news here.
Subscribe to the Map Channels News RSS Feed
Map Channels has been running since 2007 providing mapping tools mostly based on the Google Maps API.
Map Channels version 5 lets you embed a custom map into your website or blog without the need for coding.
The service is free. You can use the map scripts generated by this site for both commercial and non-commercial use.
• Register for a free user account.
• Read the Map Channels v5 Tutorial.
• Create a New Map Channel to embed your map into your website in seconds.
• Edit the map display settings to enhance your map's appearance and functionality.
Users who donate 25 GBP or more are upgraded to supporter status and receive benefits listed on the Donate page.
Supporters receive these benefits for as long as the site is running, there is no subscription time limit.
10 Jul 2014
Map Channels Events find upcoming events around the world.
Map Channels Hotels use the interactive search map to find hotel bargains.
TripGeo is a mapping resource which hosts the Directions Map embeddable control.
Mashed World - featuring Street Tours and Worldwide Webcam.
Team Maps - Mapping Tutorials and Projects.
Google Maps Mania - An unofficial Google Maps blog tracking the websites, mashups and tools being influenced by Google Maps.
Mapperz Blogspot - The Mapping News Blog.
Google Geo Developers Blog - Official Google Maps API Blog.
Add a link to your site here.
Please Contact us for more information.